About 'Ultimate WALL-E' we learn that the toy will be manufactured by Thinkway, and will retail for $189.99 USD. It will feature 10 motors for realistic movement, and also a "variety of sensors" to allow for voice activation, navigation, and detection of obstacles, among other capabilities.
Also included in the VentureBeat article is information on a previously unheard of product, the 'iDance WALL-E'. The 'iDance WALL-E' (a musical electronic dancing toy similar to the iDog) will sell for $24.99, and have a USB port for computer connectivity and an audio-in jack compatible with MP3 players and genuine iPods.
These sound like pretty cool products. Can't wait to find out more...
Update: Here's the press release from Disney Consumer Products, officially announcing the "advanced" robotic toys. In particular, a lot of new facts about 'Ultimate WALL-E' are presented, such as:
- Was designed in "close collaboration" with Pixar animators
- Ships with a remote control (used for programming)
- Features an "innovative touch programming system"
- Capable of "several emotional states" and "thousands of combinations" of movements
- Has infrared, sonic, and touch sensors
- MP3 compatible with built-in speakers
- Will be sold starting this fall through ToysRUs and DisneyShopping.com
Here's the link to the news release again. I have the feeling this is going to be one of those products people start brawling over at the store...
(Updated April 30)